Monday, January 19, 2009

How My Idea Was Hatched

About 6 years ago I was riding 250 cc motorcycles over some hills near St. George, Utah when I met a young kid, that was about 19 years old. He had a string tied around his wrist, and I asked him what the string was for. He told me it was to remind him that it was the month of charity. He was preparing to leave the country to serve a humanitarian mission in South America, and to get himself ready he was focusing on a different virute each month. To make it more effective a few of his friends were doing the same thing. I never talked to that kid again, but that conversation eventually spawned the concept that turned into the manuscript I am working on.

March or April of 2008, I was thinking about how popular those yellow "Live Strong" wristbands are that were made famous by Lance Armstrong. It go me to thinking, what if the wristbands said a different message? What if instead of promoting an athlete or a politician the bands promoted living a better life? There could be different positive messages on each, and much like my friend that was wearing different pieces of colored string to improve each month- individuals could wear these bands to teach them to live better each month.

The bands aren't expensive, but they could possibly change people's behavior- help them actually improve themselves by wearing this constant reminder. This tangible representation of their goal was sure to be helpful. Unfortunately, how would people understand how the bands worked and what to do with them. It didn't seem like anybody would buy wristbands that had nice words scrolled across them. Unless of course they were instructed on how the bands functioned.

Thats when it donned on me to start writting a book. The first few chapters were a little rough, but after that it just started flowing. Over the next 6 or 7 months I wrote over 150 pages, had a publisher request sample chapters of my manuscript, found a New York City publicity firm interested in marketing my product, and found an agent to represent me. I am now waiting to hear back from the publisher, and I will keep everybody apprised to how things go.

At the start of 2009 I began my own personal year of 12 virtues. My adventures and misadventures will be documented through this blog.

5 comments:

  1. That's so exciting Adrian! It looks like a great idea. I love that you just go for things and make them happen. It's awesome. --Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dixie! I think this one has legs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Sounds a little like Benjamin Franklin's 13 virtues only he switched them on a weekly basis so he could get through all 13 four times each year.

    I wonder which 1 you left out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool idea Adrian. I'm definitely interested to see what ideas the book contains to living each of these virtues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like things were successful in NYC! Will you come up with something cool for me to write a book about? Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete