Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Month 1: Integrity

The book I am writting has a very simple premise, focus on one single virtue each month for twelve months. By focusing on just one attribute at a time the hope is that it won't be too overwhelming. Since I want to make sure this actually works, I am trying it out for myself.

For the first month I am wearing a gold colored band as a constant reminder to be honest, and to practice integrity. So far I haven't really been challenged to be honest, so I'm not sure how much of a different the wristband is making, but it is in the back of my mind.

For me honesty means to be completely honest in all your interaction- certainly to the people that matter most to me. I have only been married for three years, but from the begining I made a decision to never hide anything from my wife. If I can't share everything with her, than life would be pretty lonely. She has been pretty honest with me as well- and I think it has helped us always have very open comunications. It makes me feel safe to share anything with her.

One thing I have learned though, is that timing does matter. Being honest is important, but there is a right time for it- being honest at the wrong time can totally ruin the mood.

1 comment:

  1. I am excited to see how this goes for you, I am interested in joining the band wagon. A sidenote, you say that, "For me honesty means to be completely honest to the people that matter most to me." What about the people that don't matter the most to you?

    In all seriousness, it seems that therein integrity meets honesty. It seems easier to be honest to a wife, whom you trust. What about your mechanic, or the customer service representative that wants to know if your ipod stopped working, or if you dropped it in a puddle?

    I am sure that you are thinking about that too, but I imagine that you will face challenges like that as well as the "don't steal from babies" sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete